Stress brought on through the use of computers is one of the major causes of work related illness.
There are many different reasons why people become stressed at work. However, here is a list of some of the major causes brought about by the use of computers:
- Many people are afraid of computers, they don't understand them and feel they will look stupid if they admit that they don't know how to operate one.
- People worry that a computer will be able to replace them and they might lose their jobs.
- Things change so fast in the world of computing that it can be very stressful just trying to keep up to date with new ideas, techniques and equipment, especially for older people.
- It is getting increasingly hard to separate work and home life. People can be contacted easily by their bosses or clients. E-mail, the Internet and mobile phones mean that people continue to work even after they have left the office.
- The amount of information that ICT systems can produce is often far too much for anyone to take in. This results in 'information overload' and people end up feeling they can't cope and become stressed.
- Workers can be monitored using ICT systems. Call centre staff are monitored to make sure that they don't spend too long on any one call. The number of products that a check-out person scans during a minute are counted. This feeling of being constantly 'watched' can be stressful.
if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't
already told you
Click on this link: Email Stress