5. Deep Vein Thrombosis
There is a medical condition called Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). Which is a clot forming in a leg vein.
Whilst a DVT itself is very painful and requires hospital treatment, it can potentially become life threatening. Small bits of the clot can break off and travel through the blood system. If they lodge in the brain it can result in stroke, if they lodge in the lungs they are called a pulmonary embolus.
|courtesy Wiki Commons|
There have been many cases of people developing DVTs after a long plane journey where they have been unable to get up and move about.
More recently, there have been cases of office workers developing DVTs when they have sat at their desks for hours on end.
- Sitting for long periods of time
- long periods of inactivity
- Swelling in the affected leg
- Localised heat in the affected leg
- Pain in the affected leg
- Take regular breaks
- Stand up and move around to allow the blood flow in your legs to return to normal
- Use an adjustable chair and ensure that your feet are firmly on the floor
- Sit with a suitable posture – do not cross your legs for long periods
Challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you
Click on this link: Deep Vein Thrombosis