18. Problems with the grammar check tool
Although grammar checkers can help people who are not very confident with constructing grammatically correct sentences, there are a number of issues which have been raised about their use.
- Grammar checkers frequently flag perfectly good grammar as bad (i.e. the “false positive” problem).
- Sometimes, grammar checkers do not detect any errors with a document. Look again at the image opposite. Read paragraph 1 carefully. Grammatically, it is very poor and yet the grammar checker has not picked up any problems, although it did pick up the issues with paragraph 2.
- There have been concerns that grammar checkers crimp creativity because people get nervous about seeing green lines under their work.
- There are also concerns that grammar checkers can be a crutch for students who have never learned good grammar habits.
Challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you
Click on this link: Grammar Checker