4. Types of distributed database (1)
There are three main options when putting together a distributed database.
1. Duplicated database at each location
With this system, a local copy of the entire database is kept at each location. As shown below.
This is often not practical for a number of reasons:
- Very heavy use of the network.
- Whole database may be huge requiring large storage requirement at each location
- Difficult to keep all copies in synchronisation
- It does not scale well as the database grows.
- Wasteful if only a small area of the database is needed by each branch
- If the database is fairly small, then this may be a practical solution.
challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you
Click on this link: duplicating a distributed database