4. Star Networks
In a star network layout, each workstation is connected by its own cable directly to the server. Star networks are usually the layout of choice in schools and offices because they tend to be the most reliable of the topologies.
- Star networks are very reliable. If one connection fails, it does not affect other users
- Very few data collisions as each workstation has its own cable to the server
- Good security - no workstation can interact with another without going through the server first
- The most expensive network layout to install because of the amount of cables needed
- Installing the network usually needs experts to set it up
- Extra hardware such as hubs and switches may be needed
- If the server crashes or stops working then nobody will be able to access their files or use the network.
Challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you
Click on this link: Star Network Topology