5. Physical methods
As you have seen, there are many different ways that you or a business can lose valuable data. With a little bit of planning and thought however, the risks can be reduced or even eliminated.
Physical methods of protection are there to stop unauthorised people physically going to the computer and accessing the IT systems.
There are many things companies can do to make their equipment more secure:
- Lock the room when not in use
- Use swipe cards or keypads to activate locks
- Bolt computers to the desk
- Use special pens to mark their postcode onto the computer case
- Keep windows shut - especially if on the ground floor. Use bars.
- CCTV video cameras to monitor rooms where the computers are and also the corridors
- In large firms, security guards
- Passes which are checked by the security guards
- Position the screen so passers-by can't see what you are working on
- Make sure that nobody can see the keyboard whilst you are typing in your password
Note: in an exam, unless the question is specifically asking you about different physical methods then you would generally only give one example from the list above and then go on to discuss logical methods (computer based).
challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you
Click on this link: Security Cameras