3. Why do you need network security (cont)
Even if data is not lost, there is a legal and moral obligation to keep much data confidential, such as
- Identity information such as passport details, national insurance number, name and address.
- Personal information such as medical records.
- Financial information such as credit card number, bank details, salary.
- Access information such as username / passwords for online computer games or social media.
The UK Data Protection Act places legal obligations on all organisations to keep their sensitive data safe. If there is a data leak then the organisation can be prosecuted and face a hefty fine and even time in prison.
Challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you
Click on this link: What is Information Commissioner's Office ICO