3. Features of a star topology
- Star networks are very reliable. If one connection fails, it does not affect other users
- Very few data collisions as each node has its own cable to the server
- Good security - no workstation can interact with another without going through the server first
- Simple to add or remove a node as it has no effect on any other node
- Scalability - can add many new nodes.
- The most expensive network layout to install because of the amount of cables needed
- Installing the network usually needs experts to set it up
- Extra hardware such as hubs and switches may be needed
- If the central switch or server fails, the whole network is down
- Requires a high performance switch or server in the centre as all traffic passes through it.
Challenge see if you can find out one extra fact on this topic that we haven't already told you
Click on this link: What is a star network